Fiona Hutton & Associates (FHA) is looking for a highly driven, innovative professional to join our strategic communications and public affairs agency as vice president of people and culture. This new role, driven by the company’s escalating growth and commitment to team first, is an exciting opportunity to chart forward with leadership and ensure our vision for people and culture remains firm as we scale upward.
Recognized as one of the nation’s top independent communications firms and a pacesetter in industry best practices, FHA specializes in reputation management, corporate communications, policy advocacy, regulatory challenges, litigation support, crisis management and public outreach campaigns for a blue-chip client roster. You’re not a number here or a cog in a publicly traded conglomerate wheel, you’re a member of a tight knit team of independent thinkers who get to collaborate on some of California’s most pressing and important issues, including health equity, the digital divide, drought, clean energy and much more.
Our work and people are unique and featured nationally. FHA consistently earns high marks in annual rankings of public relations agencies, including 6th in PR Week’s list of Top 10 US Public Affairs agencies, PRSA’s PRism Awards, Capitol Weekly’s Top 100 Influencers and the Los Angeles Business Journal’s Top Disruptors.
COOL STUFF YOU’LL GET TO DO
- Serve as strategic advisor to Founder/CEO and serve on senior leadership team, bringing a business perspective to culture and talent
- Drive agency’s standard of excellence and team-centered culture
- Ensure a diverse workforce and an inclusive environment
- Serve as center and responsible for the complete employee experience, encompassing talent acquisition, onboarding, talent development, conflict resolution/performance and people analytics
- Guide agency’s ethos and social equity employee programming
- Own people-related compliance as it pertains to state and federal laws/regulations; and ensure company HR policies are aligned and communicated
- Ideate/manage team building events and company-wide meetings
- Tirelessly guard agency’s work environment and culture
- Amplify agency’s reputation within industry/regionalmarkets to assist in attracting top tier talent
- Establish standardized/consistent interview process designed to efficiently assess skillsets
- Manage recruitment process including marketing/targeting, identification, interviews, roles and responsibilities, and assessment strategy
- Develop pipeline of superstar candidates that are prepped and ready when FHA positions open
- Represent agency at industry events/workshops/panels, university placement, etc.
- Ensure agency has competitive compensation and benefits to best position for recruitment success
- Establish standardized/branded onboarding process and associated products to ensure aseamless transition and staged/thoughtful learnings
- Collaborate with senior leadership on FHA Academy, assessing employee development needs, identifying gaps, and coordinating best practices (client service, leadership and management, etc) teaching sessions
- Design and implement an employee recognition program centered on celebrating accomplishments and driving retention
- Oversee and evolve agency’s performance evaluation process
- Serve as internal coach/consultant to leadersandemployees on personnel issues affecting performance and employee experience
- Monitor industry best practices trends and advise leadership on agency structure, job alignment/descriptions, compensation and benefits
- Drive retention of team; serve as mentor and supportprofessional development of junior staff
- Platform FHA’s respected brand to statewide and regional audiences
GREAT THINGS WE’LL DO FOR YOU
- Be clear about our mission and purpose – addressing some of California’s most important challenges and elevating our people
- Ensure you’re challenged and motivated
- Provide you the opportunity to make a real difference in the employee experience
- Drive a culture that celebrates and recognizes accomplishments and links them to the growth of the team and agency as a whole
- Provide a supportive environment that focuses on team first
- Structure monthly mentoring meetings and formalized performance evaluations with clear metrics
- Provide a transparent environment where company goals and metrics are shared
- Offer life balance and flexibility with a hybrid work schedule and remote days
- Make sure you laugh, enjoy the camaraderie and have fun along the way
- Minimum 7-10 years of experience in human resources and people/talent management
- Knowledge of California’s complex employee and workforce requirements and evolving regulations
- Deep desire to understand employee motivations and build structure and programming to support retention
- Demonstrated track record of collaborating with subject matter experts, including financial and legal
- Understanding of the business bottom-line; able to tie employee relations to the financial success of the agency
- Strong leadership and interpersonal skills; articulate and able to communicate clearly and effectively
- Comfortable in concise, affirmative decision-making role
- High degree of emotional intelligence; able to adeptly map the landscape
- Prior experience in service/consulting firm (i.e. public relations agency, law firm, accounting, etc) helpful but not required
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in human resources, organizational psychology, business, or another relevant discipline
This full-time position will be located in the company’s Los Angeles office (hybrid model). Position will offer a competitive compensation and benefits package.
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and resume to email@example.com.